Pre-Colombian Ceramic Lecture & Clay Workshop - 10/24
Welcome to our first-ever triple collaboration workshop with Gifted x Kendall Davis x Kurio.
Kurio hosts intimate and thoughtfully curated experiences that introduce people to the cultural heartbeat of a city through its art, food, makers , and creators.
During this workshop, Katherine from Kurio will give a short lecture on the various uses of ceramics, and their practical and religious uses in the Mesoamerican civilizations and North American tribes. After, we will use the newly learned information to re-create pieces with clay inspired by this pre-Colombian period. Kendall and her assistant Breonna will assist the class on the coiling technique to be used during this class, and how to shape your pieces like something from this time period.
Coiling has been around for thousands of years. Coiling allows the artist to create thicker walls and therefore height with the vessels allowing for a sturdier piece.
After the class, Kendall will take the pieces home to glaze and to fire in her kiln. Allow 3 weeks to pick them up from our shop--free shipping available as well for any out of town guests.
Kendall Davis is a local potter living in Forth Worth. She has both a BFA and MFA in Fine Art. You can visit Kendall at her showroom in Fort Worth's historic Fairmount neighborhood.
Katherine Stephens is the Curatorial Assistant at the Kimbell Art Museum and is currently in the process of developing a business on the side called Kurio. Kurio formed out of an almost seven-year-long interest in experiences, spaces, and travel where art, food, and culture intersect. She has her MA in Art History and a certificate in Museum Studies.
***Wear something that can get dirty.
The class will be taught by Kendall Davis and hosted by Gifted.
- 2 - 5pm, Sunday: October 24th
- Students will make a coiled vase inspired by the pre-Colombian era (before 1500)
- All materials provided for this class
- No previous experience needed
- Generous afternoon snacks and adult/non-adult beverages will be served
- Recommended for ages 10+
- Once you purchase the workshop, you will be contacted a day before the class with details regarding the class
- Photos shown are just an example of the type of pieces you will learn to create (made by Kendall as a demo for the class), as well as inspirational pieces from the Dallas Museum of Art, and the Museuo Anahuacalli in Mexico City.
- Attendees can pick up their pieces after Kendall glazes and fires them 3 weeks later--free shipping available for out of town guests as well
- Exclusive 20% off shopping at Gifted before and after the workshop