Onyx Coffee - Decaf Colombia Huila (Washed, EA Decaffeination)
Calm down with this delicious decaf from Onyx's friends in Huila, Colombia.
As a decaf, this coffee performs well as both an espresso and filter. A silky mouthfeel tasting of dark chocolate and apple ends with a long and complex almond finish.
This coffee has all the things Onyx loves about coffees from Huila, with none of the caffeine thanks to the sugar cane decaffeination process. Enjoy and sleep easy.
- Variety: Caturra, Castillo, Colombia
- Process: Washed, EA Decaffeination
- EA Decaffeination: Sugar cane ethyl acetate or commonly known as EA decaf is a natural process of decaffeinating coffee. It is usually found in Colombia where sugar cane is readily available and starts with making molasses from sugar cane. Once created, it sits in vats to ferment. The bacteria produce acetic acid, much like fermenting coffee, and at the peak of fermentation, alcohol is added to make something called ethyl acetate.
- For it to be applied to coffee first, the green coffee is steamed in tanks to elevate the moisture level — the beans swell, which allows the extraction of caffeine. Ethyl acetate is added to the mixture, and it dissolves the caffeine in the coffee. The coffee is then washed with water and laid to dry. In theory, the coffee should reach the same moisture content as it arrived in, which is somewhere between 11-12%. The most important part of EA coffee, and why it tastes so sweet, is it avoids high pressure and high heat, which degrades coffee quickly. This allows the natural terroir flavors to come through, making it a sweet and bright decaf.
- Elevation: 1950 Meters
- Cup: Apple, Dark Chocolate, Almond, Brown Sugar
- Cup Score: 86
“Never Settle for Good Enough” is a mantra that resonated with Onyx years ago before they knew it would be their guiding star in everything they pursued.
Today this mantra is lived out by starting with traveling to find the absolute best coffees. This plays out across different countries, continents, and terrains. Onyx maintains high standards for how their coffees score and taste. When the coffees land at their HQ, they roast and cup and make minute adjustments to the roast profiles until they make the coffees shine in the cup.
The coffee that Onyx roasts and ships every weekday utilizing solar energy from the roof of their facility. A sample is taken from each roast and cupped for quality, to track the characteristics of their coffees, and to give feedback on roast profiles. This ensures that every coffee that goes out not only meets their standards but is truly remarkable. This data is even available to view on their website.
Each coffee Onyx offers is accompanied by its pricing and trade data, meaning you can see what Onyx paid for it, what it scored at, who they bought it from, and other details right on its product page on their website. This is not only something Onyx is very proud of but is also a practice that is rare to see in coffee. Onyx wants you to see exactly how this coffee came to be one of their offerings. Their producing partners innovate and work hard to grow some of the most amazing coffees, and Onyx wants their names to be listed and recognized.
Whether you’re a coffee professional or you’re just getting started, you can trust that excellence and hospitality run through the core of every part of Onyx's business.